For this reason, the Republican party must never give up on the black vote. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a Republican for a reason. You heard me right, MLK, Jr. was a Republican. At some point in the last few decades, Democrats won over the black community in this country. I just don't understand why?
Thanks to a great woman, Frances Rice, I was truly educated about the history of my party and it's ties to the black community. You can read her full article here. Here are a few tidbits that I learned from her.
It was the Republicans who:
- Fought to free blacks from slavery (13th Amendment)
- Granted blacks citizenship (14th Amendment)
- Gave blacks the right to vote (15th Amendment)
- Passed civil rights laws of the 1860's, 1957, 1960, 1964, and 1965
- Started Affirmative Action (not the quota system of today)
- Founded the historically Black Colleges and Universities.
- Sent troops to Arkansas to desegregate schools
- Started the NAACP
It was the Democrats who:
- Started the Ku Klux Clan
- Had Dr. King wiretapped and investigated by the FBI
- Called Dr. King a "trouble maker"
- Were the party of Slavery, Secession, Segregation, and Socialism
It is the Democrats today who are running the inner-cities. Look at Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Gary (Indiana). They continue to hold their citizens hostage. Have any of these cities been better off with Democrats in charge? I have said this before....Democrats have been in charge in Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania for decades. Where has this gotten you?
Thanks to DBKP for introducing me to the following video. I am not black. I will not pretend to understand what someone who is black goes through or has gone through in their lifetime. I believe the gentleman in this video can speak on the subject much better than I ever could. He deserves a HUGE pat on the back for standing up for my party...the Republican party.